So recently, NPR contacted me to ask if I’d participate in a piece they were doing regarding the ‘coming out’ experience - what I sent didn’t work out for segment they were running, but I didn’t want it to go to waste. I’ve never really shared this on the internet, but there’s a first time for everything…
My BFF Coming out to her 89 Year old Grandmother
- BFF: Grandmother I need to talk to you
- Grandma: [concerned voice] What? What is it? Are you sick?
- BFF: No, no. Grandma. I'm gay.
- Grandma: What?
- BFF: I'm gay Grandma. I have a girlfriend now.
- Grandma: [relieved voice] Oh honey, is that all? I thought you had cancer. Anytime someone needs to tell me something they are sick. Who's your girlfriend, when is her birthday? I'll bake her a pie.
My Coming Out Experience